Wednesday, January 19, 2011

My first DIY custom built persimmon driver

Some time ago I bought a set of MacGregor persimmon (1,4 and 5) woods on eBay with the intention of rebuilding them.

By 'rebuilding' I mean:

  • Replacing the shaft and putting on a new grip.
  • Changing the lie angle.
  • Changing the way the club sits at address (open, neutral or closed).
  • Changing both dead weight and swing weight of the club.
  • Refinishing the club so that it looks like it's never been hit.

I won’t describe the entire process in this post. Should you be interested in the steps involved, then please contact John Erickson. He has put together a very good document containing detailed step-by-step instructions. You can get it by sending him a small donation in return for his efforts in putting the document together.

For a first attempt I actually think I did a pretty good job. I did make some mistakes along the way (e.g. I accidently incinerated some wood next to the sole plate, and there also was an incident with the lead weights inside the cavity…) but I learned a great deal along the way.

Here is a photo impression of the rebuild:

001WoodFaceOnViewNoShaft 001WoodTopViewNoShaft 001WoodSoleViewBurned_1

011WoodNeckReshaped 011wood MacGregor T85

CIMG2118_THUMB CIMG2119_THUMB

4 comments:

  1. beautiful, are you playing this, or just decoration/colleting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tim,
    I'm using it as a practice club for now, but I do plan to put it in play in the summer.
    I think that learning to hit an old school persimmon driver is one of the best ways to improve your game.
    (Because of the small head and feedback on mishits.)
    It can be a humbling experience, but it feels sooo good when you hit one flush!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was changing the lie angle hard? I recently bought a persimmon driver and am worried that he angle is too upright. ANy suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  4. iall$n, please have a look at: http://advancedballstriking.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=211&t=456

    As you can see in the document it's quite a bit of work, but well worth it in the end. If you want someone else to do it for you please feel free to contact me.

    ReplyDelete