Friday, June 17, 2011

DIY underlistings for leather wrap grips.

The following video outlines the process of creating your own underlistings for vintage leather wrap grips. Sometimes when you need to reshaft vintage irons the original grips are still usable while the underlistings are not. They either are glued to the old shafts or are disintegrating due to age. Since I could not find any underlistings on eBay I decided to create my own. 


This method allows for more than just the standard tapered shape of the grip. If you want you can even do a reverse tapering. Or maybe you just want to have the part under the right hand built up a bit.

For these old Hogan grips from the 1950’s I managed to reuse the end caps, the grip collars and the wraps themselves. I had to cut the collars with a knife but they will go back on the new shafts together with some black electricity tape of the same width.

Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment